Email the Fat Buster

Saturday, March 5, 2011

OAT BRAN - THE BEST FAT BUSTER. WHO KNEW?

Oat bran is a star. I've lost a stone in three weeks on the Dukan Diet and I'm delighted. I owe it all to the humble oat bran - here's why:

As soon as you scoff your oat bran (1.5 tbs on the Attack Phase and 2 on the Cruise Phase) it soaks up saliva and expands 28 times it's volume in liquid (in the stomach) - that's why we don't feel hungry for longer on this diet. On the first week of the Attack Phase I lost 8 lbs and my appetite virtually disappeared. Even now on Day 14 of the Cruise Phase I still feel full most days and I put that down to the oat bran porridge in the morning. I mix 1.5 tbs of oat bran with skimmed milk (half a small bowl - I will measure and update this) and pop it in the microwave for about 40 seconds and then back again for 10 seconds at a time (to stop it from bubbling over) until it is the consistency you like. Remember it firms up when it cools, so probably take it out when it's still quite runny - or falls from your spoon easily, unless you like to eat your porridge with a knife and fork :-)

So what is oat bran? It's the outer husk of the oat grain that's usually thrown away. It's the healthiest part of the grain, has the most fiber and nutrients and eating it regularly helps you lower cholesterol. I like Mornflake oat bran from Asda's or Sainsbury's - it has no artificial flavours, colours, preservatives or GM ingredients. You can also buy it online here at www.healthysupplies.co.uk. (They ship internationally for those of you outside the U.K.) Unbelievably, the Dukan Diet online shop sells 500g of oat bran for £3.99. What a rip off when you can buy 500g online for £1.70 and in the shops from £1.41 (Sainsbury's).

Here is my mess free version of the Dukan Gallette oat bran pancakes - the original recipe was far too eggy tasting for me.

Anyway, that's enough about oat bran for one day - I think the sudden loss of weight has affected my brain. Enjoy your weekend fat busters.
x

1 comment:

  1. Hi there
    I'm on 10th day of cruise phase and my weight is going up and down did this happen to you?
    I only want to lose about a stone altogether so maybe this has something to do with it. Otherwise I think this is a great diet.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete